Varying Dietary Protein Levels and Its Effect on Haematology and Serum Biochemical Components of Crossbred Rabbits

Submission Deadline-30th April 2024
April 2024 Issue : Publication Fee: 30$ USD Submit Now
Submission Deadline-20th April 2024
Special Issue of Education: Publication Fee: 30$ USD Submit Now

International Journal of Research and Scientific Innovation (IJRSI) | Volume VI, Issue VIII, August 2019 | ISSN 2321–2705

Varying Dietary Protein Levels and Its Effect on Haematology and Serum Biochemical Components of Crossbred Rabbits

Unung, H.U.1*, Mwansat, G. S.1,Oshibanjo D.O2, Dawet, A.1, Oyedapo F.A.2 and Asiruwa P.O2

IJRISS Call for paper

1Department of Zoology, Faculty of Natural Science, University of Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria
2 Department of Animal Production, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria

Abstract: – An experiment was conducted at the Police Force Mounted Training Centre, Bukuru, Jos South Local Government Area of Plateau State to evaluate the effects of varying dietary protein levels on haematology and serum biochemical indices of crossbred rabbits in a twelve-week feeding trial. Thirty crossbred, weaned rabbits with an average weight of 1.0kg were allotted to three dietary treatment groups of ten rabbits per group, in a completely randomized design. Diets were formulated to contain 13 and 18% crude protein levels and a control (growers mash 14%) diet. Blood samples were collected forth nightly through the ear vein of individual rabbit for haematology and serum biochemical assays. Data were analysed using ANOVA at α0.05.
The results from haematology shows that the parameters assessed (WBC, Neutrophil, Lymphocyte, Monocyte, Basophil, PVC, RBC, HGB, MCV, MCH, MCHC and platelets) did not differ significantly (P>0.05) regardless of the dietary protein level. The serum biochemical values of rabbits fed 13 % dietary protein were significantly lower (p< 0.05) compared to values obtained for other treatments groups. Also, Total cholesterol, HDL and triglyceride differed significantly (p<0.05). Values obtained for haematology and serum biochemical indices were within normal physiological ranges documented for healthy rabbits. Feeding, dietary protein level as low as 13% had no effect on haematology and serum biochemical indices of weaned rabbits

Keywords: Dietary proteins, Haematology, Serum profile, Farm cross

I. INTRODUCTION

Nigeria and many other developing countries in the world are currently facing problems of inadequate animal protein supply (Fasanya and Ijaiya 2002). According to F.A.O (2004), the average Nigerian consumption of animal protein has been estimated to be less than the recommended minimum for daily maintenance. The average daily intake of one person in Nigeria is 34.6g of which only 10.6g (19.4%) is of animal origin while the other 24.0g (80.6%) is of plant origin.