Thermal Performance Improvement of Single Cylinder IC Engine

International Journal of Research and Scientific Innovation (IJRSI) | Volume V, Issue IX, September 2018 | ISSN 2321–2705

Thermal Performance Improvement of Single Cylinder IC Engine

Roshan Kumar Nirala1, Pushpendra Kumar Jain2

  M.Tech Scholar1, Professor2
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Sagar Institute of Research and Technology, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India

Abstract–The calculation of engine heat transfer rate is very difficult due to complex design of engine geometry and periodic flow of air-fuel mixture during the engine operation for entire cycles. Various studies indicate that about 25 % of the fuel energy is converted into useful work and the remaining 75% is transferred from the engine to the environment.
The main objective of the paper is to enhance the heat transfer rate from existing engine cylinder block by changing its design of fin with new material. CAD models have been created with the help of CATIA software and then transient thermal analysis were performed using ANSYS at ambient temperatures for summer season (45oC) for actual as well as proposed design of IC engine to optimize geometrical parameters and enhance heat transfer rate. It has been observed from the results of transient thermal analysis the proposed design of engine cylinder block has better performance and heat transfer rate as compared to actual design of engine cylinder block.

Keywords– Heat transfer rate, Internal Combustion engine, Transient thermal analysis Engine design, etc.

I. INTRODUCTION

The Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) has been a part of society since the early 19th century. Although the fuel was different (petroleum was not commercially produced until the 1850s) the concept was the same. The first combustion engines were mainly used in industrial applications, but were later introduced into vehicles now capable of moving by themselves. The first modern car was designed and produced by Karl Benz in 1885, it was called the Motorwagen and ≈25 of them were sold between 1888 and 1893. In the following years more and more car manufacturers entered the market and started building, designing, and selling cars. The first car produced in an affordable way was Ransom Olds mobile in 1902.

Related Post